1.07.2013

Behind: The Seams

Hello again, dear friends.

Thanks for coming back :)

Today I'd like to talk to you about the third song I wrote and presented on the book.  I'm going to skip the second song (Idle Barricade) because I don't see it as a great good decent song.  It's long and repetitive and could use some work, so I'll *86 the discussion on that for now.

As you already know, my first public song was written in April.  The song I'm about to talk to you about today was written in June...about a month after I found myself in a new relationship.

"The Seams"



If you are a friend/fan/follower/subscriber/liker/etc., you've probably heard this song.  I tried to blast it out as obnoxiously as possible about two months ago because I submitted it for a competition and needed some more exposure.  This is probably my favorite song that I've written.  I think.  I tend to treat my songs like my books; I always favor the last one I've read.  Similarly, I tend to favor my most recent songs.  This one, however, tends to stay close to my heart.

(I'm realizing how much you will all learn about my love life because of these songs.  That's not intimidating or embarrassing at all...)

So again.  I wrote this song about a boy.  (My first album should be called, "About a Boy".  Too bad that's already a movie title.)  In this case, however, maybe the subject or theme is not so much about a boy, but rather my insecurities of being in a new relationship.   I think the phrase, "Say you'll never leave," sums up the amount of insecurity I felt.  My lyrics are straight-forward and simple.  Sadly, I don't take enough time to craft them or refine them, really, but I must admit that I don't necessarily want my lyrics to be anything more than what they have to be.  I support simplicity and I'd like to present my lyrics in the same way.  I love Coldplay for this reason.  Their music is atmospheric, simple, but emotional.  I guess I try to use the same ingredients in my own.  For now, at least.  Maybe that will change in the future.

I've re-worked this song a little bit since I first wrote it, mostly just giving it more structure and a better solo section.  I also need to spend more time on my solo writing.  I literally just play whatever until something sounds decent and so I keep it.  (I'm an impatient songwriter.) Again, I need to learn the art of experimentation and purpose, not just convenience and mediocrity.  Getting off topic...

I've often been criticized for wearing my heart on my sleeve.  I have to confess that I've always been the first to drop the I love You bomb, so maybe that's why.  Anyhow...here are my lyrics:


"The Seams"

I knew what I wanted
But then you came along
You changed what I wanted
And now I'm lost

Won't you save me, maybe?

And say you'll never leave
Cause my heart's been on my sleeve
I don't have anymore to give
I'm tired of them breaking at the seams.

There's no way of knowing
How good or bad this will be
But somehow I know this is
Where I should be

Won't you save me, maybe?

And say you'll never leave
Cause my heart's been on my sleeve
I don't have anymore to give
I'm tired of them breaking at the seams.






No comments:

Post a Comment