1.15.2013

Behind: Dawn Will Break


So dove chocolate inspired this song.

Haha, no I'm completely serious.


I wrote "Dawn Will Break" last August after getting tired of writing on piano.  I've found that I can write songs fairly easily, but I have difficulty figuring out what to write a song about.  This bothers me because I don't really like starting a song without having a vision.  It's equatable to cooking.  I know what ingredients are agreeable and which ones will complement each other, but I don't know which ones I'm going to use until I have something in mind to make.  I'll touch a bit more on this for my next post, "Method of Writing"...

So I was having trouble feeling inspired emotionally when I decided to have some chocolate lying around.  Upon opening it up, I realized it had a little quote on the inside of the wrapper.

It read, "However long the night, the dawn will break." - African Proverb

I thought it would be a good basis for a song and voila!  "Dawn Will Break" came to be.  Just like the proverb, the song is about hope, reassurance, and perseverance.  It acts as a letter to someone close to me who had been struggling with the chaos of life.

So that's my song inspired by chocolate.  Thank you, Dove!  It's just acoustic guitar, violin, and vocals.  Fairly thin texture all around.  I haven't really thought about what other instrumentation I'd like to add quite yet, but I think that's far down the road.

Enjoy!  I'm currently sick at home so I'll be working on the next post shortly while I have the time.  Don't forget to keep posting questions for my upcoming video project.  Find out more details here.  Thanks to everyone who has already submitted one!

xo.



Dawn Will Break

Cast your fears aside and let them go
They're weighing you down
They're weighing you down

And open up your eyes and see the world
It's a beautiful place
Not as scary as it seems

Take my hand, come what may
I understand

Don't you worry baby
Can't you see?
The dawn will break, the dawn will break
Don't you worry baby
I'll be by your side
To see tomorrow's sunrise

I know you need some time for yourself
But just so you know
You don't have to face it alone

So I'll pray for a little rain
To flood these streets of yours and
Wash it all away


Take my hand, come what may
I understand

Don't you worry baby
Can't you see?
The dawn will break, the dawn will break
Don't you worry baby
I'll be by your side
To see tomorrow's sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment