1.10.2013

My Infatuation With Sara Bareilles


I have a list of women whom I admire.  Sara Bareilles is pretty up there.  There are so many reasons why, but I guess I first realized my love for her when I heard her second album, Kaleidoscope Heart.  (Listen to it on Spotify here)

Yes, 'Love Song' was great.  It was sassy and catchy and everybody sang it at the top of their lungs when it came on the radio.  (The first hundred times.)  But I think listening to her second album really hit home with me, probably because I felt like each song on that album was written for  me or about me.  My best friend, Ang, first told me about the album release and had me listen to a few songs from it.  Immediately I had to buy it and admittedly, I still listen to that album in full for weeks at a time.  In fact it's been playing non-stop in my car for the last week.

I mean, c'mon:
    All the colors
    Of the rainbow
    Hidden 'neath my skin

    Hearts have colors
    Don't we all know?
    Red runs through our veins

    Feel the fire burning up
    Inspire me with blood of
    Blue and green
 
    I have hope
    Inside is not a heart
    But a kaleidoscope


Sidenote: Just looked up youtube videos of her performing live and forgot about writing this post.  Two hours later...oops.  I actually stumbled across an online show she put on via stageit for Playing for Change.  Watched the whole show.  If you have an hour, you can watch it here  The thing I loved about it is that she made a few mistakes.  It was a nice reminder that my failed attempts to get through a song without messing up are okay.  

I guess you always claim the music that speaks to you.  It just happens that her music speaks to me and inspires me.  She also has an attitude towards life that I'd like to adopt.  She's not afraid to experience emotion, but she's developed a hard-enough shell that she can wage the war of life.  She's a bull-dog with a potty mouth who can sing and play everything.  That's how I perceive her.   

I'm going to go write a love song for Sara Bareilles now.  Just kidding.  I won't do that.  I'm not gonna write her a love song.

...see what I did there?  Har, har. 


Okay, in all seriousness...she is an inspiration.  I'm currently working on a cover of King of Anything which will hopefully be posted on the world wide web in the next week or two.   I've learned that playing syncopations on the keys and singing at the same time is mighty hard, but I'm hoping I'll get better at it from covering the song.  Or maybe my self-confidence will just implode.  Not sure yet.  I'll let you know when I find out  ;)

Here are two SB covers I've done in the past.  No stories behind them really.  Besides, they're not my stories to tell.  Which artists are inspiring you? 


Enjoy!

xo.


    Bluebird






    Beautiful Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment