1.10.2013

Behind: Little Puppet Girl

Well, back on the 'boy-inspired-songs train'.  







Don't you worry - I plan to have an entire post about my infatuation with Sara Bareilles.  Just you wait.

I'm trying to go in order of my actual songwriting so you can see not only the natural progression of my songwriting, but also understand the emotional progression.  It's not that I want you to know every personal detail of my life, but I think one of the things that's missing in today's music is just that.  Music is beginning to lack that sense of progression.  Obviously, not all music - I'm generalizing.  But there's so much emphasis on singles and buying individual songs.  Albums don't seem like albums anymore.  I mean, I get it...I do.  But I'd hope that my music could be representative of a moment in history, collective feelings that morph and change into other feelings, experiences that lead to other experiences and thus music that matures into other music.  Not just songs about shaking your booty and throwing your hands up in the air.  (Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of rocking out to those songs...honestly, who hasn't?)  

Okay, okay, focus Nikia.  

Little Puppet Girl was written in July of 2011, about a year after a break-up.  So, I think you all know what's coming...

This is a song about a boy.  More accurately, it's a song about feeling like you're not good enough or capable enough to be your own person.  By now you probably have a general idea of who I am and what I do.  It's a somewhat different life than most people.  I work late-afternoon/evenings and spend my free time doing, well, this.  I almost feel guilty saying this, but I don't even have a resumé printed up.  I write my own schedule, I manage my finances, I'm my own secretary and boss.  It's not the best security, definitely not a great 'salary', but it's my life and this is what I want to do right now ( I feel like I should be stomping my foot down as I say this).  I'm happy doing it.  That's kind of my demeanor for everything else in my life.  I'm not trying to exert a control-freak persona and I'm certainly not trying to be reckless, but I just like doing things my own way.  In my own way, rather.  And I don't need my guy to doubt what I'm doing or who I am.  There will be plenty of people who do that already in this world.  I'm perfectly capable of taking orders and completing tasks, but not at the expense of losing meaning or value or creativity.  I guess that's ultimately what I'm getting at.  I need to feel like I'm being creative in order to feel satisfied with my life.  And that's just how it is.  That's just how I am.    

All this to say...when you put a dreamer in a relationship with a severe realist, mmm...things don't pan out.  And maybe a balance can be found, but let's just say I never found the balance.  Despite the amount and effort of pedaling, my bike just never hit the road. 

So I guess if I were to narrow the song meaning down to three general ideas it'd be:

-The incapability of being your own person.
-Not being on the same page as your significant other.
-Just uh, pissed off.

Pretty straight-forward song.  I plan to re-record a better version sometime soon.  

The moral of this story:  Don't piss me off or else I might write a song about you.  

xo.


"Little Puppet Girl"


You tell me walk this way
You tell me what to say
I won't be your little puppet girl
I am cutting loose of your restrain

You move your hand and I move mine
You take a step and I'm a step behind
You twist my neck you pull me 'round and 'round

You hold me down
No more, I'm done

You never really cared why the sky's so blue
You never saw the world the way I do
And baby that's fine, but now's the time for you to 
Take your strings and leave

You said you'd let me try
You said I'll have my turn
I am tired of waiting
For you to come around and keep your word


You hold me down
No more, I'm done

You never really cared why the sky's so blue
You never saw the world the way I do
And baby that's fine, but now's the time for you to 
Take your strings and leave


For so long I played your little game
All the rules and all the shame
All the bets are off
I threw away my hand


You never really cared why the sky's so blue
You never saw the world the way I do
And baby that's fine, but now's the time for you to 
Take your strings and leave







No comments:

Post a Comment