1.28.2013

Behind: Don't Say

 

Welp, friends.  I managed to write and record a new song this past weekend.  If you've been following my posts, this is the song I started writing in my car to try and challenge myself.

This was pretty fun to write and record.  I had first envisioned it to be more quirky and less gypsy, but when I picked up my violin to try a few parts, it ended up sounding more like Scene de Berio meets Zigeunerweisen (staple violin showpieces).  There are actually 11 separate violin tracks, but it probably doesn't sound like it to you.  The pizzicato at the beginning (plucking) is actually comprised of six different parts, mostly for harmony and texture.  Throughout the song I have a few layers, but brought them down in the mix because again, they're mostly there for texture.  Musically it's all based on A Harmonic Minor to give it that gypsy feel and I don't really abandon that.  The violin solo after the second verse is purposefully supposed to be more flashy than any other solo I've done thus far.  And it'll probably make more sense once I explain the lyrical inspiration.  

I've been wanting to write a song about a feeling I've had for a while.  I wasn't quite sure how to put it into a phrase of words until I remembered that book, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten" and laughed because it was so utterly true. 

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Kaaaa-blam.   We have all said not-so-nice things to others and we have all had not-so-nice things said to us.  So really this is a song dedicated to everyone, I guess.   But here's the real story...

So you probably all know by this point that I'm a teacher.  I really do enjoy it and I'm glad that it never really feels like a job.  The kids are great (most of the time) and crack me up (most of the time) and it can be really gratifying (...most of the time).  If you talk to any other private or public teacher for that matter, one of the complaints you probably hear is communicating with parents.  Now don't get me wrong, most of the parents I do business with are absolutely wonderful.  I have encountered the most caring and respectful people through teaching their kids.  Every now and then, though, I get a few parents who like to tell me how I should teach.  I get parents who talk down to me because of my age and assume I cannot play because I'm merely a teacher.  This.  Drives.  Me.  Crazy.  I probably won't ever speak up for myself until I've dealt with this for many years (I'm a coward), but hells yes, you better believe I'm going to write a song about it! 

I already feel small in this world and I don't like it when people make me feel smaller.  So this is how I planned to retaliate: a passive, carnival-sounding song with a showy solo section to prove that I can play something other than Ode to Joy and The (freaking) Happy Farmer.  I have great tactics, obviously. 

Hope you enjoy it!  As always, please share my music if you like it.  Many of you follow me quietly which I appreciate and am flattered by, but if you want to be a part of this musical project and help...please share, share, share!  :)

xo.


Don't Say 

You think you know more than me
My dear won't you show me what I'm doing wrong?
You think you are better than me
Then please tell me what you've been holding inside.

I guess you never learned
The easiest rule of all
If you don't have anything nice to say
Then don't say anything at all.

Save me the lecture today
You're nice, but I don't think I'll take your advice
Quick to tell me your feelings
Over and over you drown me in them.

I guess you never learned
The easiest rule of all
If you don't have anything nice to say
Then don't say anything at all.

If you are not happy then why are you giving me countless opportunities?
If you are not pleased with me feel free to leave and spare me from your fake tragedies.

I guess you never learned
The easiest rule of all
If you don't have anything nice to say
Then don't say anything at all
If you don't have anything nice to say
Then don't say anything at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment