1.24.2013

Behind: Blue Skies

 


This is my most recent song...written only a few weeks ago.  It had been almost a year (yikes!) since the last song.  I've written a few in between, but nothing really of substance.  

Blue Skies is a song that already exists and I'm sure you've heard it before.  If not, listen to it here.  I've found that I like to reference other songs in my songs and I don't know if it comes off as clever or cliche.  Opinions?  I like being original and creating new music, but I also like sewing it together with phrases or ideas people are already familiar with.  If I could, I'd want to be present for every A ha! moment.  The moment people realize that what they're hearing is actually from something else.  Classical composers do it all the time.  Why can't I?

One two three four five One two three four five One two three four five.

So I learned that it was really difficult for me to play in five...on piano...while singing.  I've had my share of not-even-fair time signature changes from varied orchestral experiences, but this was a whole new playing field.  I didn't want to stay in five the whole time, so I added an extra beat to make a happy, even six by the time the pre-chorus rolls around.

Musically, nothing too extravagant happens.  I had some difficulties figuring out what I wanted to do during the solo section, so I opted to just quote the original blue skies to preface the vocal line and create a running scalar pattern underneath to give it some motion.  The harmonies are pretty straightforward - the one you probably hear most clearly is a higher harmony...something I don't always do.  Generally I like to sing harmonies that are lower than the melody, but the range of the song and the chord voicing made it more difficult to stack lower harmonies, so I built my snowman with the bottom on top instead.

As far as the content goes, I wrote this song as sort of a wake-up call to people.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a white picket fence kind of girl.  At least not yet.  Maybe down the road I'll be one, but definitely not now.  The phrase blue skies is supposed to represent the American dream that everyone chases so desperately.  And it's not a bad thing if you want that, but the song is supposed to address the concern of not thinking and/or pursuing what you really want.  We have all been taught to crave blue skies, but what happens when you get it?  What happens if you don't?

I spent last night in the company of some great musicians.  I'm excited to be collaborating again and hearing other people's music.  It's refreshing.  Here's a little shot I took last night of our loved ones:




This wraps up my last "Behind" post...that is, until I write a new song :) I have an idea I've been working on in my car.  I've been trying to challenge myself to write and think about harmony and chord changes while away from an instrument.  Audiate, as they say.  I have a general idea so I'm going to the piano today to give it some structure.  It will be a different song for me...think Ingrid Michaelson and Elizabeth and the Catapult-esque (Thanks Steve - totally hooked on Eliz. now).  Expect some video postings this weekend.

Stay warm!  I have heat!  I am no longer an eskimo.  Just a regular Asian.


xo.


Blue Skies

Think you know the truth
But all you know is what you're told
Think you know the way
But you don't know which way to go

Like a ship that's been wrecked at land
A captain lost his sea

You say there's no better way
Than counting numbers and figures
And adding it all away
Your life is at stake
Will you abandon the calling of blue skies?

Trade your soul for gold
Before you know it's all been sold
Hope for something more
But you build your fence around your home

Like a ship that's been wrecked at land
A captain lost his sea

You say there's no better way
Than counting numbers and figures
And adding it all away
Your life is at stake
Will you abandon the calling of blue skies?

Blue skies smiling at me
Blue skies calling to me

You say there's no better way
Than counting numbers and figures
And adding it all away
Your life is at stake
Will you abandon the calling of blue skies?








No comments:

Post a Comment