1.16.2013

Method of Writing

Disclaimer: This post will contain some words you may not be familiar with.  aka music theory terms.  I'll try and keep it somewhat accessible for the general audience, though.  I apologize if it's too jargon-y.  Jargonistic.  Jargonatuan.  Jargonasauras Rex.  ...what am I doing?!


Where to start...

Okay, my method of writing is fairly consistent; whether or not that's advantageous, I'm not sure.  It's probably a disadvantage, actually.  I need to learn to be more flexible when it comes to songwriting.

I first start by trying different chord progressions.  I've been favoring seventh chords a lot lately just because I get tired of triads.  I should practice more jazz or study it at the least to pick up some more exotic chords.  I took Jazz Theory in college, but I don't remember anything but rhythm changes and drawing flowers in my comp book.  Oops.  I am jealous of my boyfriend's songwriting for this reason; he has so many more chords to choose from than I do.  I need to expand my vocabulary.  I also want to experiment more with range, inversions, and voicing.

I usually just try and work with 2-4 chords to begin with.  I aim for an idea in the back of my mind so I know how to structure the song, but sometimes that doesn't always happen.  What came first, the chicken or the egg?  Instead of creating a dichotomy of major and minor keys, I try and think of dark vs. bright.  Admittedly, if I'm going to write a darker song, I'll stick with minor chords or darker chords (with a lot of flats).  Happier, uplifting songs (Do I have any happy songs?) will be more major or brighter chords like A Major or god forbid, E Major.  (I hate E Major.)  This is all just a generalization, though.  I don't actively think about these things when I'm writing; this is merely looking back and conceptualizing my method so you can understand it. 

I think the timbre of a song is definitely important to think about when choosing a key.  Even for those who don't have perfect pitch, I believe that it subconsciously makes you feel certain emotions.  Maybe not so much that it's a noticeable difference, but it still makes a difference in my book.  And of course, personal preference will come into play.  Some of you may love the bright timbre of E Major, but I just don't.

So sometimes the chicken comes first and sometimes the egg.  Sometimes I start with a lyrical idea and build my progression off of it, sometimes I start with a progression and build a lyrical idea off of it.

Once I have a general idea for a song, I experiment with meters and rhythm.  This is actually my favorite part.   I'll start in 4/4 and then switch to 3/4 or 6/8...just to see how it affects the overall sound.  My latest song, Blue Skies, starts in 5/4 for no other reason than to challenge myself. 

Once I agree on this (and usually it changes once or twice before I settle) I start figuring out the structure or form.  Most of my songs are on the long side, I've noticed...4-5 minutes long.  I've been trying to condense them lately as to not bore the audience, but wow...it's difficult.  Some of my songs follow a typical V, C, V, C, B/solo, C, C, form, but others may exclude a bridge...or may have three verses.  I can't say I always do that on purpose, but some of the songs are structured in a way to reflect the lyrics. 

Lyrics.  I tend to write the lyrics during each step of this process.  I definitely need to spend more time crafting them and I want to try my next song by writing my lyrics without a musical instrument nearby.  Just pen to paper.  I figure out the lyrics when I'm writing the song, but I think it can become too hand-in-hand with the music.  And don't get me wrong, there should be a relationship between them, but I think my lyrics should be able to stand on their own.  And typically they don't.  So that's a goal I have for my future songs.

At this point, I usually spend time tweaking things and playing through the song.  Then I start recording to hear how it sounds as an outsider and you know the rest from here!  (If you missed my post about how I record, check it out here.)

Thanks for reading! xo.



No comments:

Post a Comment