1.12.2013

Behind: Time

Thank you all for subscribing and liking and following!  :)  You all rock. 


So I went to a dubstep show last night.  My legs are so sore and my left ear is still ringing, but man...it was a lot of fun.  I love experiencing different genres of music and seeing how people react to them.  And it's also interesting to see what type of people are drawn to certain genres.  It makes me wonder who will be drawn to my music.  Probably not the dub-steppers, though.  I can't say furry hats and neon clothing come to mind when I'm writing my music.




 

Time.  Let me talk about the background first then I'll talk a bit about the song structure.  This song is essentially a letter to someone who passed away; a person whom I knew my entire life, but didn't really know.  It was one of those situations where you were granted time to say your farewells and make reconciliations.  It was also a situation where time was nothing more than grains of sand in an hourglass leaving you to think about all the things that should have been.  I guess it's difficult to really explain the song and exactly how it came to be, but ultimately it's about a relationship with somebody that should have been warm, kind, and loving...and instead it was poisoned by selfishness and resentment.  And in the end none of it mattered because time defeated us all.  Yay time!  Okay, that wasn't an appropriate time to cheer.  I know.

As far as my actual songwriting goes for this tune, I incorporated some more harmonics at the beginning.  I don't know - I really love harmonics.  I find them haunting.  There's just enough air in the tone.  The harmonies on this song are way too loud - sorry about that.  It actually took me a few videos to figure out how to adjust the volume on tracks.  I thought I was doing it, but really I was adjusting the playback volume, haha.  Whoops!  Clearly...I am an idiot.  

I didn't write a bridge for this song.  Mostly because I intentionally want it to feel somewhat unfinished.  I also chose to change the last chord to major, but slipped in a flat 7 for the harmonic so it would done, but blemished, if you will.  I think the voicing and instrumentation gives it more tension as well.  I use 7 chords all the time, but they never sound that "tense" so it must just be the contrast of instruments and range difference. 

I think I wrote this song as more of a therapeutic letter.  I can't say I really 'like' this song or see it becoming a favorite, but it helped me formulate my ideas and feelings; it forced me to stop harboring them.  

Anyhow, that is all for today!  Hopefully going to finish my King of Anything cover tomorrow so be on the lookout for a post either tomorrow night or Monday morning!  Now it's time to get my purple on.  GO RAVENS! :)

xo.  Happy weekend, friends. 


"Time"

Do you ever wonder
How you'll be remembered
Do you ever worry
That you missed everything

I should know you better than I do
I don't know is it shame on me
Or shame on you?
And now you're almost out of...

Time's the only thing that'll tell
Time's the only thing that'll help
Wouldn't you like to know
Wouldn't you like to let go

All these tragic pieces
Of a tainted memory
Such a sad story in your eyes

Are you proud of the things that you've done?
Do you really think that you've won?
And now you're almost out of...

Time's the only thing that'll tell
Time's the only thing that'll help
Wouldn't you like to know
Wouldn't you like to let go

No comments:

Post a Comment