3.01.2013

Behind: Daydream



 
So it's been a little while.  I've spent the last month trying to figure out a long-term plan for my musical life.  And I think I have it.  But I'll wait for announcements until I start moving forward with certainty.  There are big things planned, though :) BIG.  Like, Tom Hanks BIG.  Okay, that reference doesn't work...I know.

Something I've always struggled with when it comes to songwriting is writing even when I'm not emotionally inspired.  I may be creatively inspired, but if the emotion isn't there...it's very difficult for me to dive in and complete a song.  I guess it's a version of writer's block.   But yesterday I announced to the Facebook world that after work I was determined to write a song.  So I did: Daydream.

I started writing on guitar because the piano was unavailable to me for most of the day.  I picked a pretty standard set of chords (which made it extremely challenging to avoid any and all melodic ideas of Taylor Swift's songs.  No, but really.)  It wasn't like I had an idea about writing a song specifically about daydreaming, in fact, the only phrase I had for a good half hour was black tie affairs.  I liked it so much I forced myself to think about where I could go with it lyrically.  And then somehow the lyrics started coming out and represented how I feel about my life right now.  Funny how that happens.  Often times, I don't think I'm actively aware of how I'm feeling until I write a song.  Maybe that's not healthy...or maybe it is...?  For a while now I've felt like I'm at a crossroads - I could pursue a life of security and fancy things or I could pursue a life of simplicity and contentment.  But what I've felt conflicted about for the past year or so is the fact that I want neither.  I want to daydream.  I want to pursue life in an unconventional manner and as my one good friend has been encouraging me to do, I want to seize the day.

I had my camera to record, but I opted to use my iPhone because I didn't want it to be as "put-together".  I guess I wanted it to seem more intimate and raw.  I also didn't plan to use any other instruments at the time so I could record one track and be done.  So that's what I did!  In about two-three hours I wrote and recorded my song, despite feeling tired and creatively drained, I did it. 


Hooray!  And now the lyrics...
xo





Daydream 

Black tie affairs and shiny cars
Fancy drinks in my hand and pearls in my hair 
This could be my reality
Or I could run away to daydream
Or I could run away to daydream

Braided hair, walking barefoot outside
Playing old folk tunes without any cares
This could be my reality
Or I could run away to daydream
Or I could run away to daydream

La dah dah dah

This could be my reality
This could be all I'd ever need
This could be my reality
But I will run away to daydream
Oh, I will run away to daydream

La dah dah dah

No comments:

Post a Comment