4.15.2013

My 10-minute Song and Did You See Timshel?

I think my best songs are the ones I'm able to write in ten minutes.  That probably sounds strange or paints me as lazy or uncommitted, but here's my logic:

Often times I have intentions of writing a song about a certain feeling or concept, but can't actually make it happen aka writer's block.  (Duh.) And then months later, BAM.  (Yes, BAM)  It just happens.  I've found the right key to play it in, right chord progressions, right lyrics.

This has happened once before with my song, Don't Say.  Granted, I started writing the melody and lyrics in my car before I sat down at the piano, but once I had an instrument in front of me, ten minutes later my basic song structure and lyrics were complete.

I've been struggling with a song idea for about 2-3 years.  And then yesterday, out of nowhere...it came to me.  In about ten minutes I had a basic chord progression and lyrics down.  In pink highlighter, no less.  That's all I could find in my quick scramble.  Recorded a rough cut on my phone and now a new song exists that I can begin developing.

Needless to say, I will be posting this song soon and I'm really excited to share it with you.  Not just because it's a new song, but because this is a song I've been trying to write for so long and never could.  Songwriting is sometimes the only way I'm able to verbalize what I'm feeling (I know, I know...fluffy cliche fluff), but it's always exciting when this happens for me.  And on the flip side, it's always reassuring to hear a song that portrays exactly how you're feeling.  So hopefully some of you will feel that way when you hear my new tune.  Maybe :)

So be on the lookout for a new original posted this week. 




And for the last time - in case you missed it...here's my latest cover:


No comments:

Post a Comment